Newly Admitted Students
Newly admitted students must enroll in KIN 251 Success in Kinesiology during their first semester in the program to be assigned a faculty advisor. Once you are assigned an advisor, please seek your assigned advisor for any future advising.
How to schedule an appointment
To schedule an appointment with your advisor, please contact them via email. All faculty office hours and contact information can be found in the main office in GYM 101. If your advisor is the Department Chair or Associate chair, please see the front desk in the main office in Gym 101 or call 415-338-2244, to schedule an appointment with the Chair or Associate Chair.
Cancelling an appointment
We highly suggest that you inform your advisor at any time if you are unable to attend your appointment. Appointments with the Department Chair or Associate Chair can be cancelled through the main office front desk in GYM 101 or call 415-338-2244. Please be courteous of our advisor's time as they are busy throughout the semester.
Documents to bring to your appointment
- Academic Report (formerly known as DARS) – Can be accessed via student center. Please have it available with you either electronically or printed.
- Unofficial transcripts of credit you have received from another institution, if not on your DARS. Examples are college courses, AP credits, military credit. Please have it available with you either electronically or printed.
- Advanced Standing Evaluation (ASE) if you have one. You can get a copy of your ASE at the Registrar's office; it is not available on line.
- Current class schedule. Please have it available with you either electronically or printed.
- Questions or concerns
How often should I see an advisor
It is recommended to meet with an advisor every semester to ensure that you are on the right pathway to graduation. Keep in mind that the busiest time to meet with an advisor is during the beginning and end of the semester, and is the most difficult time to schedule an appointment. We recommend that you meet with an advisor during the middle of the semester when our advisors are the most flexible.
General Education Advising
Our faculty advisors only advise students on major requirements. For general education advising, please see a general education advisor at the CHSS Student Resource Center in HSS 254, or Undergraduate Advising Center in ADM 212.
Quick Question Advising
Kinesiology Peer Advisers
The Kinesiology Peer Advisers are trained student advisers committed to providing resources, guidance and information to undergraduate Pre-Kinesiology and Kinesiology students.
Drop-In hours to meet with a peer adviser are available in GYM 100B. Drop-In hours are posted outside GYM 100B or in Kinesiology Main Office GYM 101.
Peer advisers can assist students with general questions related to the following:
- Major Pre-requisites
- Applying to Kinesiology
- Important Dates and Deadlines
- Transferring Major Courses
- Enrolling in a Capstone Course
- Applying for Graduation