- Must be at least sophomore standing to apply (must have at least 60 units by the time you are admitted to the major)
- Must have minimum overall GPA of 2.0
- Should have completed as many of the recommended courses as possible, in addition to the University Admissions requirements. Students who have not completed these courses before transfer application will have difficulty making progress towards their SF State degree in Kinesiology.
All recommended courses are not used for admission decision. Must pass with a grade of "C" or better.
- BIOL 100 & 101 Human Biology & Lab OR ** BIOL 230 General Biology I (Lab included)
- BIOL 220 Principles of Human Anatomy OR ** BIOL 328 Human Anatomy (Lab included)
- MATH 124 Elementary Statistics
- CHEM 101 & 102: Survey of Chemistry OR **CHEM 115: General Chemistry (Lab Included)
- BIOL 212 & 213: Human Physiology & Lab
(ITEP students are NOT REQUIRED to complete CHEM 102 & BIOL 213)
Additional Recommended Courses (for Exercise & Movement Science concentration only):
- PHYS 101 & 102: Conceptual Physics & Lab OR **PHYS 111 & 112: General Physics & Lab
- KIN 250 Introduction to Kinesiology
**These courses are required for most Physical Therapy Graduate Programs
Please follow the instructions below on how to apply to our major. Although we no longer require a supplemental application, we are still an impacted major and decisions are made based on percentage of students that we can accept.
Spring Admission Application: August 1 - August 30
Fall Admission Application: October 1 - November 30
1. Submit official Cal State application from October 1 - November 30. You will be admitted as “Pre-Kinesiology".
2. During your sophomore year, you will submit an application to apply to the major (see instructions for Current SF State Continuing Students).
Current SF State continuing students (non-Kinesiology and Pre-Kinesiology students)
(Continuing students who have earned between 40-96 units or more may apply to the Kinesiology major. Students with 96 or more units can only change to Kinesiology with an exception form signed by the Kinesiology advisor. A departmental approved Change/Declaration of Major after Accruing 96 Units must be turned in to Main Office Gym 101.)
1. Apply ONLINE via your student center
(a. On the left side drop down menu - select 'Change of major')
(b. Select our College 'HSS - Health and Social Sciences' and select our 'department/concentration' that you wish to apply for)
2. Once your request is submitted, you will receive an autoamted email confirmation. You will receive a second email within 24-48 hours that your request is pending upon completing the 'Additional Information Form'. Link to complete the additional information form will be included in the email.
**You MUST COMPLETE BOTH the online change of major request and the online 'additional information' form, for your application to be fully considered.**
1. Submit official Cal State application and indicate the concentration to which you are applying (i.e., Exercise and Movement Science or Physical Education).
2. Submit all documents to complete the SF State application to:
San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Ave,
San Francisco, CA 94132
Be sure to check emails from Admissions for directions and deadlines. You can also check your application status here. Transcripts must include Fall grades (Do not submit transcripts to Kinesiology Department; send directly to Admissions).
For inquiries about the impaction process or admission into Kinesiology contact Angelina Wong (email: Kinesiol@sfsu.edu).
- Kinesiology Admission Information
- Exercise & Movement Sciences Curriculum
- Integrated Teacher Education Program Curriculum
- Physical Education Program Curriculum (prior to Spring 2020)
- SF Scholars Program
- Kinesiology Research Labs
- Virtual Gator Days 2020 Presentation
- Physical Education and Physical Activity Powerpoint
- Physical Activity, Culture & Education (PACE) Lab Powerpoint
About the Kinesiology Department
Virtual Reality Research
About Integrated Teacher Education Program (ITEP)
Muscle Physiology Lab